For more information, contact Paul Brown (Candidate for Geraldton).
- Country Age Pension Fuel Card Scheme to be extended
- Made possible by a $140.1 million investment over the next four years by the State Government’s Royalties for Regions program
Geraldton pensioners will continue to benefit from the Country Age Pension Fuel Card thanks to a further investment of $140.1 million over the next four years through the State Government’s Royalties for Regions program.
Nationals WA Member of Parliament and candidate for the seat of Geraldton, Paul Brown MP said the investment, announced in the 2016-17 State budget last week, will help regional pensioners to remain mobile and independent by supporting access to different transport options.
“The Country Age Pension Fuel Card plays an important role in assisting regional pensioners, including age pensioners and people with disabilities, to remain independent through the purchase of fuel and taxi services,” Mr Brown said.
“The regional community does not have access to the same level of public transport as metropolitan areas and the fuel card enables recipients to travel to medical appointments, get along to community events and recreational activities, and visit family and friends more easily.
“Many regional residents have long distances to travel to access medical and health services and I’m proud that Royalties for Regions is assisting pensioners with these travel costs.”
Existing cardholders will automatically be issued a new card in July, provided they continue to meet the eligibility criteria.
To be eligible for a fuel card, applicants must live in an eligible regional location in WA and receive a Centrelink Age Pension, Carer Payment, Disability Support Pension, Wife Pension or Widow B Pension, or a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Service Pension, Social Security Age pension or Income Support Supplement.
Since 2008, the State Government through the Royalties for Regions program has invested a total of $158 million to fund the Country Age Pension Fuel Card Scheme.
The value loaded onto the Country Age Pension Fuel Card will increase from $565 to $575 from 1 July 2016.
The State Government will invest $3.78 billion over the next four years to build vibrant regions with strong economies through Royalties for Regions initiatives in health, community services, education, arts, Aboriginal development initiatives, agriculture, tourism and economic development.
- New applicants may apply by presenting a current Pensioner Concession Card and lodging a form at a participating country Post Offices
- To find the nearest participating Post Office, applicants can call the Fuel Card Information Line on 1300 666 609
- Royalties for Regions investment provides infrastructure and services that help to build vibrant regional communities with strong economies
- Since 2008, the State Government has invested $6.9 billion into more than 3700 Royalties for Regions funded projects and programs
For media enquiries please contact Paul Brown MP: firstname.lastname@example.org