For more information, contact Terry Redman (Member for Warren-Blackwood).
- Land Tenure Pathway for Irrigated Agriculture will help develop irrigated agricultural projects
- Part of the Liberal National Government’s $40 million Water for Food program, made possible by Royalties for Regions
The Liberal National Government today launched a detailed information package to help simplify the land approvals process for irrigated agriculture business development, as part of the $40 million Water for Food program.
Regional Development and Lands Minister Terry Redman released the Land Tenure Pathway for Irrigated Agriculture (LTPIA) package at the Kununurra Agricultural Show. The pathway is designed to stimulate economic development and investment in intensive irrigated agriculture projects across Western Australia.
“The package and a website will be important tools for pastoralists and investors seeking to obtain a more secure tenure for irrigated agricultural development,” Mr Redman said.
“This package provides pastoralists and third party investors with a clear pathway to change the tenure to a long-term lease or potentially freehold, which will provide more security to develop irrigated agricultural projects.
“The package has been developed in consultation with relevant government agencies, and from feedback obtained through the Mowanjum and Gogo Stations Water for Food pilot case studies.”
Water Minister Mia Davies said it was great to see the high level of interest in irrigated agriculture generated through the Water for Food program and having a clear process for land tenure was essential if WA was to capitalise on those opportunities.
The Department of Lands will also be presenting a series of workshops on the LTPIA in regional WA, commencing in the Kimberley and Pilbara regions from September.
Representatives from the Department of Lands’ Water for Food team will be at the Kununurra Agricultural Show today and copies of the LTPIA information package will be available.
- LTPIA is part of the State Government's Water for Food project, under the Royalties for Regions $350 million Seizing the Opportunity Agriculture initiative
- For more information on the LTPIA, visit http://www.pathwayforirrigatedagriculture.lands.wa.gov.au
- For more information on Water for Food, visit http://www.waterforfood.wa.gov.au